PROJECT RESOURCES. On this page, you can download the ILO Manual and learn more about its development history. We have also compiled a list of links to national volunteer reports using methodologies that are compatible with the Manual.
Download the Manual. The Manual was officially published in August 2011 and is currently available in English, Spanish, Italian, and French. All versions of the full text, including the survey module and annexes, are available for free download.
History of the Manual. The ILO Manual, was developed by the Center and the ILO in cooperation with an International Technical Experts Group (TEG) composed of labor force statisticians and volunteering experts. The TEG met twice in Geneva (July 2007 and October 2010), and communicated via a series of memos. A complete record of the communication with the TEG is available here.
In 2008, nearly 100 participants took part in a Working Group to consider both the Manual and the Volunteer Measurement Survey Module at the 18th International Conference of Labour Statisticians. Both documents won a solid vote of confidence from this panel of experts. For more information, please see the press release and the ILO conference report.
Results to date.
A few countries have implemented the ILO Manual and have released data on volunteering. You can find the latest results here.
National volunteering data produced by governments. A few governments around the world conduct regular research on the voluntary sector, however, these data are not comparable between countries, and often over time, because each of these surveys utilizes a different methodology, sampling size, and definition of volunteering. The data provided in the links below does, however, afford us valuable snapshots of some portion of the volunteer work happening in each country at a particular time.
- Canada Survey of Giving, Volunteering and Participating
- Volunteering in America 2010 – National, Regional, State, and City Information
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office Overview of Voluntary Work
- Statistics Norway Satellite account for non-profit institutions, 2006-2008: Increased value added in non-profit institutions
- Australian Social Trends, 2008: Voluntary Work
- New Zealand Office for the Community and Voluntary Sector: Volunteering research and resources